top of page

Immediate Relative

Certain foreign nationals may apply for permanent residency (green card) in the United States based on their familial relationship to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Generally, as an initial step in the green card process, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident must file an immigrant visa petition, I-130, for the foreign relative. The foreign relative must then apply for permanent residence in the United States. The requirements relating to these petitions vary depending on the circumstances of each applicant.


An unlimited number of green cards may be granted yearly to the following classes of relatives of U.S. citizens:


  • Spouses of U.S. citizens;

  • Unmarried children under 21 years of age of U.S. citizens;

  • Orphans adopted abroad by U.S. citizens;

  • Orphans to be adopted in the U.S. by U.S. citizens; and

  • Parents of U.S. citizens who are 21 years of age or older

How We Can Help

The laws regulating family-based immigration are complex and ever-changing. We can provide you with an assessment of the best available strategies for your family-based petition and an appraisal of the likelihood of approval. If you decide to proceed with a petition, we will guide you through the process and help you maximize the chances of a successful application. In addition to our legal expertise, our language skills in Spanish and Portuguese make us particularly helpful to our Latin American, Spanish, and Portuguese clients.

bottom of page